EMU v. Howard open thread, day 2
Today’s game is going to be a little unusual. OK, let’s be honest, it’s a lot unusual. Even though EMU has rescheduled football games before, usually they’re rescheduled to a different weekend. I give EMU officials full credit for good decision-making last night, and quickly and effectively communicating to fans what was happening, given the rapidly changing situation. Because of the short turn-around from last night, let’s be clear about what we know will happen today and what we think will happen today.
- EMU will play Howard in football today, at Rynearson Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for noon.
- Admission is free.
- The EMU Marching Band will not be there, due to many students’ prior commitments (among them, the EMU Jazz Ensemble will be performing at the Detroit Jazz Festival tomorrow), but EMU will have a pep band. The Howard “Showtime” Marching Band will be there, and will perform.
We are fairly certain:
- EMU will probably win this game.
- It will be about 20 degrees cooler today than yesterday, with a forecast high of 75, compared to an actual high of 97 yesterday.
Our best guess:
- It will rain today. Depending on where you look, it’s a 40% to 50% chance. Showers will be scattered.
- We might see some game delays. There is a forecast chance of isolated thunderstorms between noon and 4 pm.
- EMU will probably not host the Eagle’s Landing Fan Zone or any tailgates today. They already did all that yesterday, I can’t imagine them repeating it all today. Plus, the game is free, do you really need all those bells and whistles?
- I’m guessing EMU will use normal Rynearson Stadium procedures, with the exception that anyone is allowed in, no ticket needed. Normal procedures mean that gates would open at 11 am, an hour before the scheduled kickoff, normal allowed/prohibited items list, etc.
- One special note about rain gear. Yesterday, some fans were allowed in with umbrellas while others were told that they’d have to check them at the gate. Either way, ponchos are better for outdoor sporting events, since they don’t block the view of people behind you.
- I’m guessing EMU will operate the courtesy shuttle between designated parking areas and Rynearson Stadium. Update (8:15): The shuttle from main campus to the stadium will not be running.
- I’m guessing the broadcast information for today will be the same as what it would have been yesterday): MAC online streaming, which was to be free yesterday(Update (9:45): Free online streaming at NCAA-sports.com is verified), online streaming video on Eagle All-Access ($), radio broadcast on WEMU, 89.1 FM (listen online for free).
You could also talk about it in the comments here, and stay tuned to the Eagle Totem Twitter feed for updates.