EMU v. Western Michigan open thread
Once again, it looks like a beautiful day for a football game. The forecast calls for the weather to be clear, a 0% chance of precipitation, and light winds, with temperatures ranging from the mid-40s during the morning tailgating time up to the upper 50s, peaking out right around 60 degrees. We couldn’t ask for better weather for the Homecoming game. Speaking of which…
Because it’s Homecoming, there will be a buch of other activities going on. We listed them all earlier this week, but it doesn’t hurt to refresh. The Rec/IM tailgate will start at 9:30 AM, while the Student Organization tailgate and Eastern Echo Alumni tailgate will start at 10:30 all in the Rynearson Stadium parking lots west of Hewitt. The Alumni Relations tailgate will in its normal place (directly in front of Rynearson Stadium) at its normal time (starting two hours before kickoff, in this case starting at 11 AM), and will include “giveaways, historic EMU t-shirt sales, a caricaturist and more”. The following groups will have reserved tables: 1961 Football Team, Black Alumni Chapter, Communication, Media, & Theatre Arts Alumni Chapter, Honors College Alumni, Huron Restoration Alumni Chapter, Kappa Phi Alpha Alumni, Latino Alumni Chapter, Phi Sigma Epsilon Alumni, National Capital Area Alumni Chapter, and Theta Chi Alumni. Just before the EMU Marching Band starts their pre-game show (with alumni — MORE BAND!), the Parade of Nations will occur on the Olds-Marshall Track (12:30 PM). And of course, the King and Queen will be crowned at halftime.
If you’re coming from out of town, stick around after the game. The Communication, Media and Theatre Arts alumni will have a fall gathering at 5 PM at the Tower Inn. Florida-based Boyce Avenue will be in concert at 7 PM in Pease Auditorium. Volleyball will host Akron in their annual Dig Pink! match at 7 PM in the Convocation Center. Out of town, we’ll also be keeping an eye on EMU’s two competitors in the Pan-American Games in Guadalajara, Matt Shoemaker and Tavelyn James. The women’s basketball team looks to bounce back against Puerto Rico (6:30 PM) after a narrow upset to Argentina, while the baseball team hopes to continue their dominance into their final first round game when they face Mexico (8 PM).
If you’re not able to make it to the football game this afternoon, there are several other ways to keep up to date.
- The MAC is offering free streaming video for a bunch of games this fall, and it looks like today’s matchup is one of them. Watch here.
- If free isn’t your style, you can pay EMU to watch on Eagle All-Access ($5.95 for 24 hours, $9.95 for a month, $79.95 for a year).
- Listen to the game on WEMU, 89.1 FM. Or, if you’re out of the area, listen online for free.
- If you’d rather read about the game than watch or listen, you can follow the tweetcast from @EMUFB11 and my comments at @eagletotemblog.
- If you hunt around online, you’ll find several websites claiming to have free streaming video of the game. I’m dubious, and some of the sites seem sketchy, so I won’t link them here, but they shouldn’t be too hard to find if you look. But really, with the MAC offering it for free, why would you bother with these other sites?
You could also talk about it in the comments here. And if you can’t wait until this to talk about football, feel free to get a head start this morning. It’s an open thread, so as always, comments on any topic are legit.