MAC men’s tournament scenario update
Only three games last night were relevant to EMU’s tournament seed. The first, of course, was the Eagles’ own game, which they won, clinching sole possession of the MAC West Division title. Bowling Green managed a 5-point win over Miami to stay tied with the Eagles in fifth place at 9-6. And Kent State beat Ohio, to tie the two teams in third place at 10-6.
So, with one game per team left to play, here are the MAC tournament scenarios for EMU:
- If EMU and Bowling Green win, and Ohio and Kent State lose, EMU will win the four-way tie and get the #3 seed.
- If EMU wins, and Ohio, Kent State, and Bowling Green lose, EMU will get the #4 seed. In the three-way tie among EMU, Ohio, and Kent State, the Golden Flashes win, with EMU then holding the tiebreaker over Ohio.
- If EMU and Kent State win, and Ohio loses, EMU is #4.
- If EMU wins and Ohio wins, EMU is #5.
- If EMU loses and Bowling Green loses, EMU is #5.
- If EMU loses and Bowling Green wins, EMU is #6.
Obviously I was wrong the other day when I wrote that EMU was locked in to the 4, 5, or 6 seed. They can get into the #3 seed if it’s a four-way tie with Bowling Green, Ohio, and Kent State. As Hustle Belt’s Matt Sussman wrote,
extra points tie-breakers are hard.
That means your weekend games to watch and rooting interests are:
- Miami over Ohio, 7 pm Friday.
- Akron over Kent State, 7 pm Friday.
- EMU over Toledo, 2 pm Saturday. Duh.
- If EMU loses, root for Buffalo over Bowling Green, 6 pm Saturday.
- If EMU wins and Ohio and Kent State lose, root for Bowling Green over Buffalo.