31 flavors of football uniforms
Some of the biggest EMU football news of late has been about the new uniforms. We had rumors starting in mid-January, and saw it on an official EMU web site in early April, but over the past few days, the EMU PR has really kicked into gear on this.
Here are the key points to know:
- By my math, three pants choices, three jersey choices, and three helmet choices (white, green, or gray for each; the white and gray helmets will be matte) means 27 potential combinations. That’s enough that if the team plays in the MAC Championship Game and a bowl game, they could wear a different combination for every half of play and only repeat once.
- The green jerseys say “Eastern Michigan” above the numbers on the front, while the gray and white jerseys say “Eagles”.
- The uniforms are made with Adidas’ top-of-the line Techfit fabric. According to EMU…
They are 30 percent lighter than standard pieces, making use of multiple fabrics, textures and ventilation zones without seams. The technology allows for increased mobility, agility, comfort and durability, sizing versatility and boasts expandable flatlock seaming and an integrated pad lock system. CLIMATE moisture management and anti-microbial technology help create a true compression uniform fit.
- The Eastern Echo reports that the pants are a new beltless design, for more…um…mobility.
- According to Sportslogos News (who knew that there was such a thing!), the gloves will feature the block “E”.
- The jerseys will have the current shoulder caps replaced with similarly located wings, which is drawing obvious comparisons to Oregon’s uniforms. However, I think they look quite different; EMU’s wings will be across the tops of the shoulders (again, about where the old should caps were), while Oregon’s wings are right on the front of the jersey. Unfortunately, this means the jersey numbers will no longer appear on the shoulders, which was a feature I really liked.
- Fans are being invited to vote on which of four (only four!?) uniform combinations the team will wear for the October 13 home game against Toledo. Choices are green jersey with white pants and helmet, gray jersey with white pants and helmet, gray jersey with green pants and helment, or gray jersey with gray pants and helmet.
- Fans are also being invited to vote on which of the three helmets the team will wear for the season opener, August 30 at Ball State.
But the voting — ye gods! — to vote, you first must get on Facebook if you’re not already there, then “like” EMU Athletics on Facebook, then go to “Together We Vote“, and cast your vote, preferably for the uniforms that are…you know…ACTUALLY IN THE SCHOOL COLORS! (Or, as Hustle Belt’s Matt Sussman recently put it, “We have a chance as one Internet to SAY NO TO GREY”.
Really, in the end, I can’t bring myself to get excited about this. The gray uniforms look dull to me, the wings look generic (and apparently they are — any team, at any level of play, can add those exact wings to an addidas jersey), and most of the changes just seem to be going in the wrong direction.